Thursday 13 January 2011

To sleep, perchance to dream...



I hate the sound of heavy rain at night, more so when it's mixed with voices on the wind and traffic. As a little girl it scared me, a branch hitting the window became a witches broom, monsters scratching to get in at me.

These days I find it depressing, mostly because if I'm lying in bed listening to the wind I'm having trouble sleeping. There's no lonelier time than sleeplessness. There's nothing quite like the symphony of wind and rain to accentuate that feeling.

I don't suffer from insomnia often, in fact I'm more likely to suffer the opposite and have been known on occasion to fall asleep sitting up mid sentence. I feel the deepest sympathy for anyone who regularly fails to enter dreamland at the appropriate time.

There is no judge, jury and executioner like your own mind, alone, in the middle of the night.



 (pic yoinked from deviantart, at some point in the distant past)




4 comments: